It’s been a pretty hectic week—the first full week working first shift. I worked second shift for a little over seven years, worked third shift about six months prior to that. It’s going to take a little while to get used to, both for me and the family. I have to be at work by 7 a.m., but I get out at 3 p.m.; which leaves a lot of day left for me to spend with the kids, etc . . .
It also means I get to eat with the family for a few days more a week than I had been.
I’ll still work some overtime, so there will be double-shifts and late nights, and extra shifts on my days off (which have also changed to Friday and Saturday). It’ll be different, for sure, but I think it’s for the best.
The kids and I road-tripped down to Todd’s skate shop (Ollie’s) and scored a bunch of gear (two completed decks, helmet, elbow and knee pads). We hit Tecumseh Park on the way back, where I ended up hitting the pavement pretty hard. Good thing I had on all the gear, otherwise I would’ve been in trouble.
We also ran up to M.P. the other day, hung out for a few hours whilst throwing some money away. I visited with my brother for a bit, so that was alright. The kids and I hit the water park yesterday and just chilled for about three hours, getting burnt, then cooling off.
I’ve been gone skating four times in the last week, which has been pretty good, but I had a couple of bad wipe outs. It takes me a lot longer to heal from minor injuries. I’ve pretty much given up on ollies—I think it might be best if I stay on the ground (or transition or vert) as much as possible. Going airborne in almost any manner isn’t a good idea for me—landing whatever trick is just way too hard on my knees.
E decided that Z-man’s new board is actually his, “Hey, where’s my blue skateboard?!” He also swiped Z’s knee pads and put them on—they’re so big that they completely cover his leg from the knees to his feet. E was trying to push the skateboard while we were still at Todd’s shop. He had his right foot on the back of the deck and was trying to push off with his left foot; it just looked hilarious—he wasn’t able to move it at all (since it was on carpeting) but he knew what he was supposed to do.
Nan got herself a green and white board and Z got a blue and gold get-up. Between the three of us we have enough pads to go around. If we’re skating the bowl or pool, we can go two at a time—shouldn’t really have three bodies flying around in there as it is. I imagine little E will be joining us by next summer, too.
Some kids at the park were checking out my old-school board---they call it a “fish” as opposed to their “popsicle sticks.” They were saying there’s a new skate park set up at a high school just south of town, which isn’t far from where Nan has soccer practice. They’ve got her going three days a week, so I think I’m going to be checking out the new park while she’s doing the soccer thing. Gas prices being what they are, I really can’t afford to drop her off/go home/drive back to pick her up.
It’s all good—Z starts football pretty soon, B and I have been hitting the gym. No complaints from here, at least for now.
7.29.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment