7.24.2006

D. Camp-bell

I introduced the kids to hills the other day—seemed like a good time to do so, give them a break from the skate park for a little while. Hills are a good way to learn balance and to learn about steering your board by shifting your weight. I did quite a bit of hill riding, back in the day. I also spent a lot of time in parking ramps around campus, especially in the winter or on rainy days.
It seems to be a good idea to show the kids different kinds of skating—it is not all about the parks, right? We have gone on a couple of recon missions, looking for skate spots, just like in the old days. I told my kids they have it pretty good at the park—nice smooth concrete and ready-made obstacles to tackle. We had to find our own or make our own. The park can be a little intimidating for newbies—both the terrain and the other skaters, so it is good to mix it up with different locations that are relatively crowd-free.
I have been blessed in a way; the whole skating thing has given me an opportunity to bond with my two older children. It all came about somewhat organically, if I had pushed it on them a couple of years ago, it might not have worked out as well as it has. It is also a chance for all of us to try something new together—I never skated in a park setting (or vert for that matter) before, so it is just as new for me as it is for them.
How we approach a new situation, new challenges, and new faces is certainly useful in many different aspects of life. I want them to tackle these challenges with an open mind, an open spirit. Skating has become a way for me to share some of my values and beliefs with my kids—for what it’s worth.
Z-man and I met a local skate legend yesterday—D. Campbell—at the skate park. I have heard about this guy from friends since I first came to town, back in 1987. He is the best skater that I have seen live in person—he was shredding the @#$% out of that park. He also dropped into the pool—another first for us, we have seen videos and photos of pool riding, but never actually seen somebody do it in person.
For the record, Campbell is cool, was very approachable. Throughout his session, he was encouraging the other skaters and giving tips the whole time. He’s older than me—by 5 years? Not positive, but he is starting to bald up top, has an unassuming demeanor. He looks like he’s somebody’s accountant, not the best skater to hit these streets pre-Andy Mac.
It turns out that we know some people in common (kgh!) since he worked at Azteca’s for years and I worked over at Adler’s in the late eighties. The guy never stopped skating, has been going at it for nearly twenty-five years. He was self-effacing about his skateboard skills, though—said he owed it to time and practice.
His runs are super smooth, he does stuff off the bowl and ramps that I have never seen anyone even attempt before. He was shredding the coping left and right, doing airs all over the place. The younger kids don’t do runs—they shoot a line, throw in a couple of kick flips and call it good. Their style seems choppy and awkward by comparison.
Meeting him gave me a glimmer of hope, seeing a forty-something dude shredding as well as he was. If I could skate half as well as that D. Campbell can, I’ll be happy. My son said he seemed alright—just a normal guy with crazy skateboard skills.
I have been advocating this theory of late with the kids—I told them that anyone can become good at something, given enough time and repetition. Of course, there are those that transcend a sport due to physical and mental gifts, but that the majority of us can learn to do almost anything passably well.I am not sure if D. Cambell proves or disproves my theory—the dude was just killing that park, though. So I guess he must have some innate ability to skate like he does—he certainly persevered much longer than most of his contemporaries. Now that I’m working 1st Shift, I might be able to catch more of his acrobatic stylings and will attempt to come to some conclusion on the matter. Or I might just skate. Probably the latter.

No comments: