Spring is raging full on all of a sudden. I was scraping ice from my windshield earlier this morning, but now the sun’s all shining and everything just stinks of spring. The Great Lakes region is famous for crap like that. Sweat your buttocks off during the day, freeze em at night. I’m half conscious, still trying to shake my nightmares, convince myself they were only dreams. Lack of sleep always screws up my grip on reality. I worked 16 hours last night, hadn’t planned on it, but couldn’t say no to the extra cashish.
The boundary between reality and illusion becomes really blurry for me following a double shift. I had nightmares all morning long and still feel on edge. I ended up getting home and driving the kid to his A.C.T. test and then dinked around with the toilet for awhile after that. I found a small leak where the bolt attaches the tank to the seat, probably not that big of a deal, but once I’ve been awake for over twenty-four hours, everything becomes a big deal.
My son took his A.C.T. at the state college with all the high schoolers. I walked him to the testing site, ducking and dodging the proto-adults along the way in the crowded hall. He got a couple of stares—the kid’s short for his age thanks to super doses of steroids, which also managed to jumpstart his kidneys back to life. But he’s still only thirteen, and here were all these sixteen and seventeen-year-olds ponying up to take the biggest test of their lives, so far at least.
There will be bigger tests, but those won’t be scored or graded.
I think we're driving over to London tomorrow, need to go visit Cheyenne. She's been in the hospital pretty much since A2 Pow Wow, except for a few hours last week. That's about two solid weeks. I'm purposely ignorant when it comes to medical terminology--back home the hospital is somewhere they take you when you're already dead or about to die. I just know that whatever's going on with her isn't good. It sounds like her cancer may have spread, despite the chemo, despite the radiation treatment. Not good at all.
7.06.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment