7.31.2006

miiknoot

E: Daddy, daddy, look I got new miks (underwear), mummy got me whole bunches a’dem.
T: That’s good, E, your miknoot were getting too small, huh?
E: Yep, I big huge, like Clobber-Time (the Thing, from the Fantastic Four). Daddy, I tiiired, go bed now.
T: I’m sleeping downstairs beebz, I have to get up before the sun come up, so I don’t want to wake you up.
E: I seep mummy?
T: Yep, seep with mummy.
E: Lub you daddy.
T: Lub you beebz.

That boy needs to sleep in his own bed, what is he, almost four years old? I was probably his size when I was in the first grade. Of course, he’s huge and I’m small, but he’s still sleeping with mommy and daddy at that age? Of course, if he were living in Thailand . . . my cousins probably go their whole lives never have slept in a bed by themselves.
I know that sounds crazy, but think about it . . . when they’re growing up, they share a bed with their parents; then their siblings but then they get married and share a bed with their spouse, then their children, on down the line. Maybe the baby of the family gets his own bed for two or three years, huh?
Of course, if he was growing up in Thailand, he wouldn’t be wearing any miknoot either. I was the only one of my cousins to wear pants—I was the only one that was circumcised, so everyone was always trying to check out my business. Mom figured that I should be circumcised since my father was—but I’ve been meaning to ask her—who did the job? I was born at home, like everyone else in my family; so there were no doctors involved. Did grandma do it? Had she ever done one before? Maybe she cut off to much or something—who knows?
Anways, it made me stand out quite a bit—it was bad enough that I was half-falang, I also had this whole thing to be ashamed of as well. So I was the only kid in the village running around with a pair of shorts on, which also made me stand out. Couldn’t they just leave well enough alone? I couldn't pee without half a dozen cousins crowding around to check out my goods. Talk about giving a kid a complex. Oh well, all water under the bridge, now.

No comments: