dude . . . i wrote this long thing about Christmastime and the solstice celebrations of pagans, etc . . . then I accidentally hit escape and deleted everything . . . oops
my wife and I decided not to celebrate Christmas before we had any children-- I'm Mohawk and Thai and she's Ojibwe/Odawa/Potawatomi so it just made sense to us . . . our tribes have had a strong Christian influence since the 17th century--missions were established on both our reservations back in the late 1600's-- but the church itself has been responsible for some awful things--boarding schools, loss of language/culture, etc . . .
so for our family it's not something that we observe, but we try to teach our children the origin of Christmas, or any other major holiday, and it's importance to the religion and culture at large.
it hasn't always been easy-- "waddya mean we don't do Christmas?! all my classmates and friends do Chrismas!!", but i think making an informed decision about these things is the only way to go.
I'm not telling them they can't choose to celebrate Christmas or Hannukah or whatever when they have their own families, just do it for the right reasons and understand where the custom comes from.
the chillens will aks me how long i been skating and i tell them a coupla months--meaning since i started up again--but they get a funny look on their face--hehehe
"oh, since about July or so . . . how long you been skating?"
most of them don't realize how old I am, though-- I got a babyface . . .
[Inspector Deck]from the Wu-Tang Clan
I smoke on the mic like smokin Joe Frazier
The hell raiser, raisin hell with the flavor
Terrorize the jam like troops in Pakistan
Swingin through your town like your neighborhood Spiderman
So uhh, tic toc and keep tickin
While I get ya flippin off the shit I'm kickin
The Lone Ranger, code red, danger!
Deep in the dark with the art to rip charts apart
The vandal, too hot to handle
Ya battle, you're sayin Goodbye like Tevin Campbell
Roughneck, Inspector Deck's on the set
The rebel, I make more noise than heavy metal
12.24.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment