12.24.2006

jingoism

I grew up in Detroit in the 80’s, when the Big Three were getting their butts kicked by the likes of Toyota and Honda. A half-Asian kid growing up in an anti-Japanese atmosphere was not a lot of fun. A lot of my classmates’ parents were getting laid-off from the auto companies and their suppliers. I’ve seen jingoistic b.s. first-hand.
This isn’t what Mike is talking about—he’s making an informed choice, when possible. I respect that. We as consumers can choose where our money goes, to a certain extent. I’ll spend my money at my friend’s skateshop because I know he’s giving me a deal and that HE’s getting the money—not some fat-cat sitting in his half-million dollar home feeding off someone else’s hard work.
I refuse to shop at Walmart because of the way they treat their employees. Shopping next door instead, I know I’m spending more money, but at least they’re taking care of their people. The Waltons meanwhile, have four billionaires in the family, while the state takes care of their employees.
We can’t change the fact that textiles are made in Thailand and China—the industry has limited our choices because this is what is most profitable to them. But I can choose to give my money to some mom-and-pop operation instead of some big-box retailer. And if OMA has a hook-up with a stateside board maker or screen printing operation—I’d rather give them my money. If I had money, that is . . . but when it comes time to purchase the next board or tee—it definitely matters to me.
And if I happen to know someone--even though it is only from the web--I’d rather purchase products from them. If Jonno’s got the hook-up as far as bags—I’ll buy it from him. Maybe it’s a throwback to the way things used to be—you purchase your goods from your friends and neighbors. These days we usually buy our stuff from some nameless drone at some big-box retailer.
We’re building our own little on-line village here, mon—maybe I’m the village idiot, but at least this idiot knows where his money is going.

No comments: