my folks moved cross-state right after I graduated from high school (1987)-- I hooked up with a whole new skate crew right away and skated with them guys everyday. They were all three or four years younger than me, but I was all about having fun. I also shared my love of the Punk Rock with the youngsters--
I started college in the fall, but I would hang with the the guys whenever I was back in town-- Christmas break, summer breaks, etc . . . for the next three or four years.
It was interesting to see kids drift away from skating for all kinds of different reasons--work, school, girlfriends. I stopped soon after myself got too busy with work and family, etc . . .
The one that pist me off was Scotty becoming a jock and totally turning his back on all his boys. Suddenly all the people he was hanging with thought skateboarding wasn't cool anymore, so he followed suit and ended up harassing his old friends for doing what they loved.
I told him--dude, you're living in some podunk town in the middle of nowhere and you think you're the shite cuz all of a sudden you're some hot-shot football star or some krap? You go to a Class D (smallest division) high school. You'd be lucky to make the third string at the school I went to . . . big fish in a small pond don't mean shite . . .
I played football, ran track, alla that . . . but I'd wear my punk rock t-shirts proudly and did want I wanted to do.
"Why's that guy wearing a varsity jacket AND a punk rock shirt? Is he a jock that's punk, or a punk that's a jock?"
How about me just being me? Skating helped define me-- sports was just something I did for fun . . . maybe that was the difference.
12.25.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment