6.01.2006

lives lived and half-lived

Driving through the northside, cruising up High Street,
Past Cristo Rey Community Center, past the party store that sells cigarettes to minors,
Past another store with a roadside barbeque,
The visible signs of poverty struck me.
I had acted as if it was some sort of Badge of Honor,
Growing up a block from Eight Mile, two blocks from Mound Rd.
Under the shadows of the smokestacks from auto and steel plants,
A few miles up the road from gleaming towers of the Renaissance Center.
I knew we were poor then, but poverty was the norm
And it built character and it somehow gave us substance.
That was just another lie I told myself to cover up the truth.
My eyes are open now, and I see this tired broken down neighborhood for what it is.
Sagging roofs, broken windows and weather-beaten siding,
Can no longer hide the quiet desperation of those who live within.
Buckling sidewalks and garbage-strewn and weed-filled yards line the street,
Hinting at the chaotic lives lived and half-lived by the occupants.
I know I am delusional, just projecting my own thoughts and fears
Upon the outside world as my beater bounces down the pothole-filled street.
I hated being from where I was from, wanted a better life, a better way.
Expected to find something bigger and better eventually,
But the choices I made, the crosses that I chose to bear,
Anchor me to this place and time with no hope of escape.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol...of course I know DJ Twisty-Tie. I just dropped him off at his place a few minutes ago! I live in a different part of the same grad student housing that he lives in. Because he has a family, he lives in a townhouse instead of a duplex like me. We're both teaching assistants for the same class this summer, and I see him practically everyday. He is currently mentally fried from this one class he is taking...

It's interesting you mentioned 8 Mile, since I remember DJ Twisty-Tie telling me that he lived in Lansing. My bro used to live in Birmingham, not too far from Detroit...

I'll update my link to your new blog. My thoughts to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

damn...someone already usurped your miizii-dip name...

mangadezi-jr said...

It's all right, looks like they're pushing Sigur Ros, which is cool with me, still kind of creepy, though. Not a "real" blog, you know?

mangadezi-jr said...

DJ Twisty-Tie is good peoples, ran into him in East Lansing 17 years ago or so, turned out he was a really good friend of my brother-in-law's. Small world.
Birmingham's real nice, lots of upscale shops, nice neighborhoods. 8 & Mound wasn't so nice-- but I still have friends living down there. It's been twenty years since I lived down there. . .