“Flip Your Wig” said the album cover, so I did--folded it, manipulated it, bent it every which way but broke. Running from myself, running from life, almost got my wish, but I came back to my senses before too long. Then I had to be reintroduced to myself, took forever to figure what was me and what was just trash I had picked up along the way.
I sat talking with a friend in his dorm room, but suddenly, I was watching the whole the whole thing from outside the room, sliced right out of the situation. There was nothing but darkness beyond the room, a window to another universe, we sat on the cusp, discussing post-punk aesthetics. The writer Joseph Campbell once said that the heroic journey starts with disintegration, but ends with reintegration. There are steps in between, of course, but we seem to be missing the experienced, guided, journey into our psyches and back again. Shamanistic cultures still travel that path, but modern man has cut himself off completely and seems lost in the everyday that he thinks is the only reality.
6.03.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment