4.29.2007

water beads on the deck

The boy and I went to the park,
Still drying up from the night before,
Puddles in the corner, water beads on the deck,
Sun shining down, promises of a beautiful day,
Half-dozen or so teens flipping about,
Two little kids, helmeted, kickturning,
And two old schoolers up on the deck,
Walked over to them to chat,
Doug and Dave, locals, 41 and 35,
Saw them dropping in, carving,
In the bowl area many times before,
Snapped some shots on my disposable,
Got schooled by Doug on the basics,
Pumping and carving, all else falls in place,
Stay perpendicular to the plane,
Made it look and sound so easy,
But easy doesn't get it done,
Pump at the top to gain momentum,
Keep your body in place,
Otherwise you’re gonna eat concrete,
Still need to work on that,
Can’t seem to pump like I should,
The boy can fakie, but no pumpage,
Just dies when in the half-pipe,
certainly understands the concept,
Z-man and I went off to the bowl,
Messed around trying to carve,
Got my kickturns back, at least a little,
And the boy is more than half-way there,
But stalls and bails, told him to compress,
But his knees don’t bend, no matter what,
Just cannot go from theory to practice,
Two little groms jumped in with us,
They’d hit the wall and fakie,
Didn’t do much else, keep hitting the wall,
Almost throwing themselves at it,
Or falling down and hitting their knees,
Told me my shoes were no good,
Both wearing, skating on Walmart gear,
We just sat and listened, not saying much,
The little one keep talking, about whatever,
Asked me if I could skate, asked me if I could ollie,
Blah blah blah, following me into the flow,
Told him no, not really, told him I didn’t know,
My son and I are just learning,
Fakies, carving and kickturing,
Someday soon we’ll both have the tail drop,
Grinds on coping and son surpassing pops,
But for now we’re just learning, just like you,
But one day, we’re gonna own this here pool.

No comments: