Tripping down memory lane,
Thumbing through an old musty yearbook,
Almost twenty five years old,
Suddenly wanting to remember,
Suddenly interested because of some goofy dream,
Sitting and talking to a ghost from my past,
Needed to know what she wanted me to see,
The old feelings come roaring back,
Remembering things long since suppressed,
Reminded of my mercurial self,
So full of promise with endless tomorrows,
Somehow walked away from everything,
Burnt those bridges so long ago,
Missed so many chances just out of spite,
Angry and bitter at imagined slights.
Memories frozen in time,
Just a snapshot out of the blue,
I remember the faces and the places,
The ancient hallways of my youth,
Bustling with angst-ridden teens,
Searching for their place and meaning,
The old hurts and wrongs come rushing back,
School boy crushes and long buried feelings,
Long days of wishing I were somewhere else,
Just killing time until I could fly free,
Dreaming of all the things beyond our little school,
But now I find myself wishing I had stayed,
Wishing I had lived a little bit more,
Wishing I had done something else,
Wasting away the present with regret.
4.13.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment