12.01.2007

work

my line of work can be pretty crappy some times...
But...I'm really good at what I do...
So I've been trying to make the best of it--

the funnest/most challenging job I've ever had was as a line cook at this fancy restaurant while I was attending college--
I've managed to channel some of the good aspects of that to my current job.
I'm the floor supervisor and have to handle my responsibilites as well as keep track of the everyone else's progress and be available to answer my employees' or other's question and trouble-shoot any other problems as needed...
I talk a lot of smack with my co-workers but they know me well enough to understand that 1) it's all in good fun 2) i would do anything for them; for the most part, they seem to reciprocate.

while working in fast food dives/cherry farms/mushroom canning plants/groundskeeping, etc . . . as a student, I wanted to explore/practice some of my spiritual beliefs---as someone who has an interest in Buddhism/Native spirituality, I do believe that those beliefs can make me a better supervisor/co-worker/employee...

But it's a daily practice and sometimes things don't work out quite the way you thought/had hoped, but then someone totally surprises you/exceeds your expectations--and teaches you something about faith/trust/humility in an instant...

flexibility/having an open mind/being able to not take myself so seriously...those are the keys for me right now. I try to practice those things on a daily basis when possible...sometimes I have no choice.
but my job, despite its many faults (much like me) has its merits and I try to give my best effort, to give my attention to the details, and I feel more fulfilled and satisfied in the process...

No comments: