Gliding down the black asphalt,
Tree-lined street decked out in fall splendor,
Leaves on the curb waiting to be picked up,
Halloween in full effect on this quiet street.
The moon peeks through the leaves,
Lighting our way down the traffic-free avenue,
Trick-or-treaters scrambling from house to house,
Carving never felt so good so pure.
“Skateboarders,” they say as we glide by,
Stating the obvious but its all good tonight,
The neighborhood feels so small so intimate,
We just pushed and kicked ourselves into heaven.
Butter smooth concrete at the parks has me spoiled,
Cracked broken streets and sidewalks avoided,
But here we are sailing along blissfully,
And all this time it was just around the corner.
On our way back I saw an old friend,
We grew up in the same neighborhood,
Back in Detroit back twenty years ago,
Seen him a few times here and there.
Now he snowboards now I skateboard,
Plans made and numbers exchanged,
Twenty years came and went,
But we all forge ahead.
Z and I cruise back home,
He with a bag of goodies,
Me feeling stoked and happy,
Just a short little trip down memory lane.
No one even asked us to do any tricks,
Treats galore greetings and hellos,
Didn’t have to do any bonelesses
Or lame ollies for our bag of booty.
My memories were never as good as this,
Right here right now is what I enjoy,
And the future holds great promise,
Cruising along faster than I could ever run.
The unexpected joys are always the sweetest,
Expecting nothing I stumbled onto something,
Opening to the moment and living,
Not confined physically or mentally.
Gliding on black asphalt carving turning,
Balancing heelside toeside just riding,
Self-propelled self-controlled on these four wheels,
Speeding dizzily down the street past tricks-or-treats.
11.01.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment