9.19.2006

sanity assassins

Rainy cold dreary September day—
I told my daughter it was gonna rain yesterday, but she didn’t believe me.
Just something about the wind, something in the air yesterday,
Humid and windy--but I could just feel the onset of rain.
I imagine our ancestors had a name for it,
As they did for so many things that we have forgotten.
Summer’s last gasp as autumn leeches into the air,
Cold rain showers sent to pummel our spirits,
And prepare us for the long frozen nights of winter.

I had to cut and run, not willing to shoulder the blame,
Not believing that my superiors would do what needed to be done.
They reward bad behavior and mediocrity,
No reason to rise above when everyone else is sinking.
Everyone thinks I am just showing off, just being nitpicky,
But what is it that they are doing here?
No one owes them a livelihood, owes them anything,
But their sense of entitlement is so apparent,
And they bide their time and pay their dues.
Some day one of them is gonna run this place,
God forbid but someone might just screw up
And put one of them in a position of power.

The payment will be refused and returned,
According to the lady at CountryBlight,
But that was over a week ago.
I can’t send them what I don’t have,
Although they have it/had it just last week,
And perhaps it is now in the mail.
They hit me with fees and fines,
But I have to just sit and wait,
Because my check’s in the mail.
I’ll turn right back around,
Send it right back to them,
But they’ll keep calling,
Keep right on reporting me to the credit bureaus,
All the while the check’s in the mail somewhere.

No comments: