Couple days later still kinda sore,
Neck feels like I tore something,
Forced forward from the force of the collision.
Everyone’s fine all walked away,
No scratches no blood no nothing,
Just dazed and surprised and upset.
The other Tony insists that the light was green,
The other driver and another witness say otherwise,
I was too busy checking out cd’s didn’t see.
He wanted back-up wanted me to agree,
I couldn’t say I saw something I didn’t see,
So sorry somehow but I can’t lie.
I lie and cheat and steal and conspire,
Far from perfect perhaps not even good,
But just now I cannot lie about that.
Screeching brakes the sound of metal and plastic snapping,
Shaggy-looking homeboy swearing all the while,
I stare at the cab of the semi bracing for contact.
We hit then bounce back I feel my neck snap forward,
The car stops and dies in the intersection,
I look up to the driver and see him pull out a cig.
His front driver side is smashed rig sits at standstill,
No broken glass no blood no bones snapped,
I, amazed and thankful all at the same time.
Damn those Metallica cds I swear he’s got everyone,
I, flipping through the book while he runs a light,
Or not if he’s telling the truth.
But truth eludes me just now,
Nothing but the sight of the cab rushing at me,
As I sit bracing holding onto the cd’s.
The sound of the horn blaring too late,
The sound of the other Tony cussing and wearing,
“What just happened? My light was green!”
Employees at the ghetto carwash stand and watch,
Walk over to survey the damage,
Everyone on their cellphone calling.
Sitting shaking adrenaline od’ing waiting,
Police finally show up lights flashing,
Need a ride to go get my Thai food.
Too evil to die too good to live,
Probably my grandma still looking over me,
Her influence felt from beyond the grave.
Not much of anything everything’s alright,
Went skateboarding right after work,
To celebrate my good fortune my good luck.
Unscathed and unbloodied riding the board,
Carving and kickturns up on the wall,
Feel more alive than ever before.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment