2.20.2008

tabzzz

Collecting tabs off the net,
At first it all seemed like too much,
What does it all mean,
How am I supposed to read,
What are all these numbers,
All these lines and these letters,
E, B, G, D, A, E,
Oh--those are the strings,
The numbers refer to the frets,
Starting to make some sense,
So I pick away until it sounds right,
Pluck pluck pluck one string at a time,
Or I play chords ever so slowly,
Tabs make it so much simpler,
Some tab for idiots like me,
No chords at all just single notes,
Decided Joy Division was fairly easy,
Transmission begins with the G-string,
2-4-4-2-2-4-4-2 or is it 2-4-4-4-2-4-4-4,
Then jump up to the A-string,
0-2-2-0-0-2-2-0 or 2-0-2-2-2-0-2-2-2,
Every song has numerous interpretations,
Play around with the pattern for awile,
Moved on to the opening riff on Digital,
Two strings this time--the E and A,
Alternating from the 4th and 5th frets,
Hey, that sounds familiar,
Another repeating pattern,
Just like on Ceremony,
Except with the 8th and 10th ,
Now I gotta stop and listen to the song,
Hear how it's paced and listen for pauses,
Callouses forming on my fingertips,
Trying to hammer down and hold the strings,
Amazed by the simplicity,
But how did the greats squeeze so much feeling,
Into these few little notes,
I've got the opening of Hey Hey My My,
But it's got none of the feeling of the original,
I pause longer and turn up the volume,
Still feels empty and without any soul,
But I'm only doing the minimum,
Just playing the main notes and nothing more,
Waiting for it to seep into my bones,
I've started dreaming in music,
Dreaming about tabs and finger placement,
Just rudimentary stuff just the beginning,
Have so far to go but I've started on my journey,
Trying to breathe life into these cold steelstrings,
Trying to lift up my soul to something greater,
For a glimpse of the eternal beyond this moment,
Repeating pattern throughout this life,
Music fills a void which threatens to engulf,
So I'll just keep plugging away,
Plucking and strumming everyday,
Until I hear my voice in the music I play.

No comments: